About Me

My photo
I'm a mom, but I am also so much more. I'm a wife, I work, cook, shop, craft, try to stay healthy, keep up on the latest technology, and style trends, and much more! Come join me in my adventure of making a new blog that allows us to share the everyday things (ups and downs) that turns living an everyday life into living a lively life!

Saturday, June 22, 2013

My little Merida

My daughter LOVES to play dress up. I tried buying the cheap dress up costumes ( 1/2 price after Halloween) but after 6 months they were starting to fall apart. 

I can't get myself to spend the insane $$$ they want for the good quality ones. So I am left with one option. Make them myself. 

Thankfully I had a grandmother and mother who both sewed so I was taught well from a young age. 

Although I made her five costumes for Christmas, she has still been asking for more characters.

Hence, the arrival of Merida. 
 
I used a McCall's pattern but made some simple alterations to the sleeve and a little less gather in the skirt to make it the Merida style. 


I surged this seems so they would be stronger and I did not use the zipper in the back, instead I used a simple Velcro tab for easy on and off during dress up play.

Some cute gold lace, Celtic looking ribbon for the bottom, and fancy gold button for a "medallion" completed the look. 

* All of the supplies were purchased at JoAnn fabrics.


What kind of things do you make for your kids instead of buying?

No comments:

Post a Comment