About Me

My photo
I'm a mom, but I am also so much more. I'm a wife, I work, cook, shop, craft, try to stay healthy, keep up on the latest technology, and style trends, and much more! Come join me in my adventure of making a new blog that allows us to share the everyday things (ups and downs) that turns living an everyday life into living a lively life!

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Gluten free "Rice-a-Roni"

I eat "Gluten Free" or I should say I try my best to eat Gluten Free. I have a Gluten Sensitivity, meaning that when I eat foods containing gluten my body doesn't digest them properly and it reacts accordingly.

I discovered this years ago when the amount of headaches and migraines I was getting was starting to affect my daily life and I found myself consuming Excedrine multiple times a day. After trying Rx migraine medications and still finding no relief I starting researching food allergies. After much research and several trial and errors with other food eliminations I found the eliminating gluten also eliminated almost 90% of my headaches.

Over the past 7 years I have seen a huge increase in the amount of gluten free foods available in everyday grocery stores, but there are still things that I miss. "Rice-a-Roni" is one of those foods.

You think, "it has rice in the name isn't it gluten free?"
    Nope :-(
Direct from the Rice-a-Roni website:

Are Rice-A-Roni and Pasta Roni gluten free?

Since so many of our Rice-A-Roni and Pasta Roni products contain grain ingredients that have gluten, we cannot guarantee that any particular product is entirely free of gluten. More specifically, Pasta Roni is not gluten free as it is made from wheat flour. Many Rice-A-Roni products also include wheat flour because they combine pasta such as orzo, vermicelli, etc. with the rice. 

Sometimes i am still forced to create my own versions of things. 

Here is my recipe for G. F. Rice-a-Roni

1 cups uncooked rice (not instant or Minute Rice) 
   *Brown Rice if you want to be really healthy
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Cups water
3 tsp low sodium chicken bouillon
2 Tbsp dried parsley flakes (I used freshly dehydrated parsley from my garden!)
2 tsp onion powder
2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme


Melt butter in bottom of sauce pan. Add dry rice and sauté till rice is a light golden brown. Add 2 cups water and chicken bouillon, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Add parsley, onion powder, garlic salt, and thyme. Stir until well mixed. Eat and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I have a question. I realize rice a Roni isn't gluten free because of the noodles but I was wondering if there's gluten in the flavor packet? I love the flavoring and can use gluten free angel hair pasta broken up with rice.

    ReplyDelete