About Me

My photo
I'm a mom, but I am also so much more. I'm a wife, I work, cook, shop, craft, try to stay healthy, keep up on the latest technology, and style trends, and much more! Come join me in my adventure of making a new blog that allows us to share the everyday things (ups and downs) that turns living an everyday life into living a lively life!

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Heavenly Homemade Sugar Scrubs

Lets be honest moms, 5 minutes is about all the time was have to indulge, right? I take my 5 minutes in the morning and use my sugar scrub in the shower a few times a week.  

I have loved sugar scrub and sea salt scrub for years but have bought it very sparingly in the past due to the price in the stores. 

About a year ago I discovered homemade sugar scrub on Pintrest. 
I gave it a try and not only did I fall in love with it, I love it MORE than the store bought stuff. 

There are so many great things about it. 
~The ability to chose any sugar granule type and size. 
~Use any scent.
~Very inexpensive.
~Whip up a batch in a matter of minutes.
~Great as gifts for friends and family.

There is so much more but my favorite is that it leaves my skin softer than a babies bottom and I feel like i've just had a mini spa treatment!!!


Here are my 3 favorite recipes for sugar scrub. 

My favorite energizing summer scrub:

Ingredients
  • 1 cup fine sea salt (course if you like a rougher scrub)
  • 1 cup Sugar (raw or granulated)
  • Orange essential oil or Orange extract
  • 1/3 cup coconut Oil (add more or less if needed to achieve desired texture)
Instructions
  1. In a medium bowl combine the sugar and salt.
  2. Add Coconut Oil and orange extract.  Stir until well blended. (this will require some mushing around if the oil is in a more solid state, if you want you can slightly heat is just enough to make it runny, then it will be easier to mix. Careful, it gets hot fast!)
  3. You should try for a texture similar to damp sand.
  4. Store covered in a tight container. (I recommend plastic container if you are keeping it in the shower.)

Inspired by the recipe at:
http://www.deliciouslyorganized.com/2011/07/diy-summer-scrub.html

My favorite scrub to use in the fall:


Pumpkin Brown Sugar Scrub
Ingredients
  • 1 cups Brown Sugar
  • 1 cup White Sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/3 cup coconut Oil (add more or less if needed to achieve desired texture)
Instructions
  1. In a medium bowl combine the sugars and spices.
  2. Add Coconut Oil and stir until well blended. (this will require some mushing around if the oil is in a more solid state, if you want you can slightly heat is just enough to make it runny, then it will be easier to mix. Careful, it gets hot fast!)
  3. You may add more if your scrub is too dry.
  4. You should try for a texture similar to damp sand.
  5. Cover in a tight container. (recommend plastic container if you are keeping it in the shower.)

Adapted from the recipe at: http://www.theidearoom.net/tag/pumpkin-spice-sugar-scrubs


My favorite winter time scrub:

Peppermint Sugar Scrub


Ingredients
2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil
Red food coloring
Peppermint extract (you can use essential oil too, found at a local craft store, but a few drops of extract do the same thing and is much less expensive!)

Directions
Mix sugar and coconut oil until it resembles the consistency of damp sand.
Separate the mixture into two bowls
In one bowl add a drop or two of red food coloring and mix throughly until it is a nice pink color.
In the other bowl add several drops of peppermint extract and mix thoroughly.
Layer pink and white layers into a plastic jar. 

If you go to the original site you can get the free labels pictured above to put on the jar!
http://www.couponsandfreebiesmom.com/2013/11/homemade-peppermint-sugar-scrub.html

No comments:

Post a Comment