Who doesn’t love walking home at the end of the day, opening the door, and smelling your favorite scent?Problem is paraffin candles, chemical filled plug-ins, and chemically manufactured air freshener sprays are some of the ways that we have become accustomed to making our homes smell appealing – but these products are adding to the toxic environment in our homes.
Well, I found a solution! I recently learned that my local grocery store carries essential oils. Better yet, they are natural and very reasonably priced! (You can also purchase them on the web for very reasonable prices).
I knew there were natural “air fresheners”. A search on Pinterest will give you thousands of links! I did a quick search and collected the basics here for you.
Common essential oils and their benefits:
◦ Basil: helps relieve headaches
◦ Rosemary: stimulates the mind and improves memory
◦ Clary sage: calms the nervous system
◦ Clove oil: helps relieve congestion and has aphrodisiac qualities
◦ Eucalyptus: expectorant, this eucalyptus species is indicated for children with respiratory congestion, useful for colds and flu, antiviral
◦ Ginger: relieves nausea, warming emotionally and physically.
◦ Geranium: PMS, indicated for hormonal imbalance, antimicrobial, nerve pain
◦ Lavender: improves sleep quality and calms the nerves
◦ Lemon: acts as a natural antidepressant and calms anxiety
◦ Mint: invigorating
◦ Orange: refreshes and relaxes
◦ Peppermint: relieves nausea, relieves/reduces migraines, energizing, antispasmodic, Studies say do not use around children under 30 months of age.
◦ Ylang ylang: aphrodisiac, antidepressant, nourishing
There are many more oils. Search our your favorite scents or find scents that will assist with natural remedies for things you are dealing with.
Ways to use essential oils around your home.
Make a Room Freshener:
◦ Fill a small decorative jar or dish with plain white rice and add in a few drops of oil. Place the jar in whatever room you wish to fill with the fragrance. (Peppermint or lemon work great the bathroom and lavender is soothing in the bedroom.) Click here for a tutorial on this
◦ Dab cotton balls with essential oils and place in the corners of your drawers and closets. It also helps ward off moths!
Freshen while you vacuum:
◦ Place a few drops of oil on a cotton balls and put in your vacuum bag. Each time you vacuum it will smell wonderful!
Freshen your car
◦ Place a few drops of oil on a cotton balls and put a plastic bag, leave it unsealed. Place it in your car under your seat.
|See full tutorial on the Live Life Whole website here.|
To deodorize and clean furniture:
◦ Place a few Combine baking soda and several drops of peppermint, eucalyptus or wintergreen essential oil and sprinkle on furniture, floor, or mattress. The baking soda will absorb moisture, deodorizes and sanitizes. The essential oils will drive away dust mites and leave a clean refreshing smell.
For more research on the dust mite issue read this article: http://doterrablog.com/diy-use-these-two-ingredients-to-say-goodbye-to-dust-mites-and-hello-to-a-cleaner-mattress/#sthash.pkTJ9SDY.dpuf
If all that good smelling stuff isn't good enough reason, there is research out there at proves essential oils are beifital to our health and well being!