About Me

My photo
I'm a mom, but I am also so much more. I'm a wife, I work, cook, shop, craft, try to stay healthy, keep up on the latest technology, and style trends, and much more! Come join me in my adventure of making a new blog that allows us to share the everyday things (ups and downs) that turns living an everyday life into living a lively life!

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Gluten Free Tomato Soup!

I love tomato soup would frequently by cans of Campbell's tomato soup in the past. Since going gluten free I have missed tomato soup because most canned soup have flour as a thickener (there are a few brands out there without). I have often tried to create my own version at home without success. The other day I again attempted to make a homemade version. This time I hit the nail on the head!

Start with 2 cups of milk and 2 Tbsp of butter. 
Turn heat on to a medium setting. 


As the milk/butter is beginning to warm. 
Add 2 Tbsp of corn starch and whisk till fully dissolved. 

Whisk until starch is fully dissolved and butter is melted. 
Switch to low head and stir until you see the mixture starting to thicken.

Season with a bit of salt and pepper to taste. 

Your mixture should be thick by now, it should coat a spoon when it is dipped in.


Next add a 29 oz can of tomato sauce and mix thoroughly.


Finally add spices. I opted for garlic salt, dried oregano and basil from my garden. 
Then let it sit and simmer on low for a bit so the flavors cook together and the spices have a chance to really infuse.  I don't have exact measurements for the seasonings because I wasn't following a recipe. I was just "winging it".  If you are unsure you can always start small and add more. 


Finally, dish it up. To make a real impression on someone you can adda  sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan cheese and some fresh basil from your garden!


A healthy low calorie soup, full of good stuff for you. Eat and enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting. I've been missing tomato soup too and this recipe sounds perfect. What type of milk did you use, regular, almond, etc.?

    ReplyDelete