About Me

My photo
I'm a mom, but I am also so much more. I'm a wife, I work, cook, shop, craft, try to stay healthy, keep up on the latest technology, and style trends, and much more! Come join me in my adventure of making a new blog that allows us to share the everyday things (ups and downs) that turns living an everyday life into living a lively life!

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Evaluate food Week One: Taco Seasoning

We love tacos. We eat them often. Do you? 

Do you use homemade seasoning or the store bought packets?

Take a look at a packet of seasoning that you can pick up at the store:

Taco Seasoning - misleading products on 100 Days of Real Food 
I couldn’t believe it when If you look at the ingredient you will notice that 'Maltodextrin' as the first item on the list (meaning of all the ingredients this contains the most of that). Maltodextrin is a filler found in highly processed foods and is usually made from corn. If I want corn in my taco I'll use fresh or frozen kernels not processed corn. 

Why would it be the main ingredient in a simple as taco seasoning?
 
Clean Alternative: Make your own batch of homemade taco seasoning. See my tutorial here.

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 Tbsp paprika
1 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp onion powder
1 Tbsp dried onions
2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper

Gently mix all ingredients together in a bowl and store in an air tight container.

Use 2 large scoops of seasoning and 2/3 cup water per 1 pound of taco meat.

I usually triple the recipie and then I have enough for a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment