About Me

My photo
I'm a mom, but I am also so much more. I'm a wife, I work, cook, shop, craft, try to stay healthy, keep up on the latest technology, and style trends, and much more! Come join me in my adventure of making a new blog that allows us to share the everyday things (ups and downs) that turns living an everyday life into living a lively life!

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Doc McStuffins Costume


Since my daughter received a Doc McStuffins  doctor to kit for Christmas she has been asking for a "doc costume". Here is the adventure that was "making the doc costume".

I started out with an old halloween costume of my husband that I thought would be easer to modify
than starting from scratch with material and a pattern.



I took of 1/2 the length of each sleeve, about 5 inches off the bottom and a 4 inch section of the back. 
I re-hemmed everything and it fit pretty good.


Next challenge, covering up the adult words on the costume. Not swear words, but adult humor using to create a Dr. Name that would not be so appropriate for a child.

As you can see by the picture on the left, the iron on idea didn't work so well….







After some brainstorming I decided to use 'patches' to cover up the wording and then put on a new Doc name tag. But while doing so i ended up accidentally swing the sleeve shut, so had to rip it out and resew it.































After some frustration I fixed it all and was on to the next thing. Iron on transfer decals.

Notice that these images are printed incorrectly.
They should look like a mirror image when printed
 so when they are ironed on they look correct. 


I love the Avery Inkjet printable transfer paper! Its a budget saver. A few clip art pictures from the internet, print, and iron on.




Remember to flip the image before you print! (Thankfully I realized this ahead of time.)

These images are ironed on upside down so if you don't flip the image before you print it you will end up reprinting the images a second time.







































Here is the final image. My daughter was thrilled. Even though it was a bit of a challenge and took about 2 hours longer that I intended… I'm glad I did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment