About Me

My photo
I'm a mom, but I am also so much more. I'm a wife, I work, cook, shop, craft, try to stay healthy, keep up on the latest technology, and style trends, and much more! Come join me in my adventure of making a new blog that allows us to share the everyday things (ups and downs) that turns living an everyday life into living a lively life!

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Roasted Veggies

My me favorite way to eat vegetables is to roast them. It is so quick, so easy, and so delicous!

Step 1: 
Preheat oven by turning the broiler on low (or if you don't have a broiler 350 degrees will also work)
Chop up your select veggies. Some of the veggies that taste good roasted are: broccoli, butternut squash,  potatoes (red, sweet, etc.) carrots, brussel sprouts, peppers, onions, zucchini, and lots more! 
It never hurts to try. 

Step 2
Prep your pan.
I line a jelly roll pan with with foil for easy clean up.
Spray pan with a good coat of olive oil (or cookin spray of your choice)



Step 3
I like to lightly blanch my veggies. It slightly cooks/softens them. I also think the extra moisture helps keep them from burning under the broiler. 

To blanch being a pot of water to a full boil. 
Put the veggies in, the boiling will stop.

As soon as the water comes back to a rolling boil pull out the veggies with a slotted spoon or drain in a colander.


Step 4
Place on treated cookie sheet and season.  Salt and pepper are a must for me, you can add additional specie depending on the veggies you are roasting and your taste preference. 
Garlic, Italian seasoning, and Rosemary are all favorites of mine. 

Finally, give them another generous coat of olive oil spray on top of the veggies.


Step 5
Throw them in the oven and let them roast! (On top shelf under LOW broil)
 

Smaller veggies like broccoli and chopped up brussel sprouts can cook I as a little as 10 minutes. Thicker veggies like potatoes and carrots will take more time. 

Poke test or taste test are great ways to check for 'doneness'.


All you have left to do is eat and enjoy this delicious, high fiber, low calorie, side dish!




No comments:

Post a Comment